Saturday, January 28, 2006

Road Sign Math

I like to travel. But what does one do on long trips to keep oneself awake? I listen to Dire Straits--loud. I also count things. There is always the license plate game. You know, find as many states' license plates as possible. Well, I ran across this Road Sign Math site today. Incredible. The sign at left is the one that evidently started it all. Some guy with a head for numbers and not a lot to do on a trip. The web site lists road signs by state, and country.

My favorite is this one. I had to think about this one for a while. And after seeing the "solution", I had to look up the math. I'm embarrassed, I was a math major in college!



Here is one from Alaska, which is a huge state but has few roads.

Some of these solutions are quite elegant, and novel. I like it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home