Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Congratulations, Mike, on 500!

Former Minnesota North Star, current Dallas Star, Mike Modano has scored his 500th NHL goal, only the second American born player to do so.

For the non-initiated, this is an amazing feat. First, a man plays his whole career with one team is in and of itself a rarity these days. Seeing Joe Montana as a Chief was gut-wrenching, or Willie Mays as a (shudder) Met. Modano's longevity with the Stars is to be commended.

Second, 500 goals is a lot of goals, and is a huge milestone. Modano started playing in 1989, and 18 years of hockey in the NHL is a long time to play a fast and dangerous game.

I grew up in Minnesota and went to my share of North Star games at the old Met Center. That was when the NHL expanded from the initial six teams. I loved rooting for Bill Goldsworthy, Lou Nanne, Gump Worsley (what a name!), and the other Stars.

Of course, the North Star games were nothing compared to the excitement of the Minnesota State Hockey tournament, and here. I attended several of those as a kid, and they were the most exciting events I have ever attended. I remember the heroes of my youth playing for distant places like Warroad and Roseau, and for local powerhouses like the Edina Hornets.

I could not agree more with the Powerline guys about this being the greatest sporting event ever. And I absolutely LOVE this picture of the guys who just won the game. The sheer joy on their faces has no monetary price.

Congratulations, Mike Modano.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home