Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Where Neither Moth nor Rust, Nor Hungry Dog

In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus said, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal."

I was reminded of this a few days before Christmas, when I foolishly left my wallet on a small table. Our dogs got to it, and when I next glanced at my wallet, it was on the floor, and all the money had been taken out by the dogs!

I discovered a pile of money by the side of the house the next morning, most of it chewed to bits. And, of course, the one dollar bills were in pristine shape, only the larger bills were chewed up. You can see the remnants of two fives and a twenty above.

I discovered that in order for a damaged bill to be good, it had to have one and a half serial numbers. There is a serial number in the upper left of each bill, and the lower right. If one serial number is intact, and half the other number, it is OK. If less than half of one serial number exists, the bill has become worthless.

I am reminded of this today as well because my younger brother, Dave, had a stroke on Saturday night. He is a fire captain, and only 50 years old. (Which used to sound really old!) He is in the hospital in the Bay Area, and seems to be doing OK, though it is too early to tell the extent of any permanent damage, if any.

Dave and his family all go to a wonderful church in Danville, and they are well prayed for. Their lives belong to Jesus, and they have invested in eternal things, like their relationships with people. I really think Dave knows or has helped half the people in the Bay Area. When I have visited him, and we have gone to Home Depot, he usually is greeted by half the people in the store. People he has helped in one way or another.

My heart goes out to Dave and Karen and the girls, and we trust in the Lord that things will turn out well for them. I do not want to lose my baby brother!

1 Comments:

Blogger dannyboy said...

Jim, do you have any update on your brother, Dave? That was quite a shock to read!
Dan Grady

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home