Friday, December 09, 2005

I Passed!

Last Saturday, I passed my final assessment to become an AYSO Advanced Referee. The process is to take a class, and pass a written test of soccer knowledge. Then there are some physical tests one must pass: run a mile in 12 minutes, run 50 yards in less than 10 seconds, and a 40 yard agility drill. Then one must be assessed by a referee assessor as an Assistant Referee (AR), and then as a Referee.

I passed by AR assessment last spring at a tournament in Pasadena. However, my first attempt at passing my Referee assessment was a failure. I did not fail, exactly, but the assessor felt that the game was not competitive enough. What that means, I suppose, is that my skills at managing the game were not tested.

Which brings me to last Saturday. The same assessor was there this time. And at the half, commented that this game, too, looked like it was not competitive enough to pass the assessment. "Great!" I thought to myself. Still, the game progressed nicely in the second half. It was a boys U14 semi-final playoff game, with two evenly matched teams. In the second half, I awarded two penalty kicks, and issued a yellow card. The final result was 4-3.

After the game, the assessor congratulated me, and informed me that the game had become competitive enough for him to pass me. I was surprised, and relieved.

With increased honor, comes increased responsibility. This weekend, I will be assisting the staff at the Leo Nedeff Referee Camp, being held at South Pasadena High School. Should be fun to see others take the Intermediate, Advanced, and National courses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home