Friday, June 02, 2006

A Kilobyte of Hits

According to Sitemeter, the blog has just been visited by the 1024th person. Thanks to the dozens of you who take time out of your regular web surfing to check on my little blog.

As you may know, 1024 is a magic number for computer geeks, it is a kilobyte, which is a 1024 bytes. See here for details.

A megabyte is 1024 kilobytes, or a million bytes. One of my first computers at Tandem was an IBM XT with a then guargantuan 10 megabyte hard drive. I wondered, "Who would ever fill up ten whole megabytes?"

A gigabyte is a billion bytes, or a million kilobytes, or a thousand megabytes. Computers now have hard drives that are many gigabytes large.

I find this stuff sort of interesting, don't you? Well, what do you expect? Once a Math major from Berkeley, always a Math major from Berkeley. Now if I could only find a paying job....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home