Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Pet Peeve Number 365

People who cannot spell. In public. The picture is from anti-war protester, Cindy Sheehan, who was in Korea to protest a U.S. military "bsae" expansion. Way to do your cause some good. Can people who cannot spell "base" be trusted on weightier matters? If they are sloppy with their spelling, how careful is their thinking on other matters?

I know, I know. When someone makes a spelling error in public, don't deal with their points, just criticize their spelling. I know, it's a cheap shot. Don't deal with the substance, criticize the style. Well, maybe so. But if the style is shoddy, my conclusion is that the substance is, too.

Of course, what can I say in response to this sign, which announced my preaching a brilliant sermon this summer? Mixed messages? Perhaps. It was a little embarrassing, I gotta say. Especially since when I pointed it out to people, most didn't see a problem with it. "Celibrate"? Perhaps I meant "celibate"?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home