Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Shake, Rattle and Roll

Well, another earthquake in Southern California. Ho hum. This one centered in Chino Hills (see map), about 30 miles east of downtown Los Angeles. The magnitude estimates vary from 5.4 to 5.8.

In my church office, the shaking and rattling went on for about 30 seconds, and we rolled pretty well.

By all accounts, there is very little significant damage, and no lives were lost. And I have not heard of any injuries.

In 1987, we lived through the Whittier Narrows earthquake. That was also a 5.3/5.9 quake. I was in seminary at the time, early October. And several of my classmates quit the school and moved back home to the midwest, where "all" they have are humidity, mosquitos, floods, and the occasional tornado. Having lived through the Fridley tornado(s) in 1965, and one in South Haven, MN a few years later, I will take the earthquakes. Until the BIG ONE, that is.

I will say, these earthquakes sure can keep one on their toes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home