Sunday, August 27, 2006

The Boy Gets His Driver's License

Just before we left for vacation, my son, Mark, took his driver's license test, and passed. But it was not without drama, nor humor.

We got to the Pasadena DMV at 7:45 a.m. for an eight o'clock appointment. Without reading any of the paperwork, we pulled into line with all the other cars. Mistake number one, always read the paperwork. All of it.

But 8:30, we were the head car. The DMV examiner came out, and told us to park, and then go check in at window 26. OK. Approaching window 26, I saw a sign that read "If you are more than 15 minutes late, your appointment will be cancelled." Well, we were actually at the DMV 15 minutes early, but were now 30 minutes late. The woman at window 26 was preoccupied with a dysfunctional printer, and it was 8:40 before she paid attention to us. She looked at our paperwork, and said, "You're late, make an appointment for another day." The next available appointment was three weeks away. I replied that I wanted to keep THIS appointment, but to no avail. Her last retort was a suggestion to see her supervisor at Window 2.

Frustrated by my own failure to read simple directions, and at bureaucratic rules, I led Mark out to the car. We drove to the Staples around the corner, where I looked for some software I had wanted, which was on sale. They didn't have it in stock. Figures.

So I asked the heretofore silent Mark, "Let's give Window 2 a try, shall we?" He shrugged, as only teenagers can do before the obligatory noon wakeup time.

So we drove around the block, parked the car, and meandered our way to Window 2. We were in line with a woman who was clearly freaking out. She had been randomly selected to take a behind the wheel test to renew her license. She was not prepared for it. So we tried to encourage her, build up her confidence. "You'll be fine", we said, over and over again. Finally, we were helped by a very helpful woman, who took pity on our situation. I was ready to give it an honest shot, but not to weave some horrendous story of woe that would get her sympathy. All I said was, "We were here at 7:45 for an 8:00 appointment. I did not read the directions, and we never checked into Window 26. By the time we got there, it was too late to keep the appointment. Is there any way my son can take his driver's license test today?" (Big cheesy grin) "PLEEEAAAAAAASE?"

She allowed it, more due to her own graciousness than my powers of manipulation or persuasion.

So, we got back in the car, got back in the car line, and waited. By 10:15, we were first in line again. The DMV examiner came out, and away he went with Mark.

Later, Mark told me that the examiner made him take a left, then another left, and then another left in the parking lot. They were heading back to the parking places where the test ended, and one was told the news about passing or failing. Mark told me that in his head, he was thinking, "Man, I flunked already?!?" I told him he should have told the examiner this aloud. I am pretty sure the examiner doesn't hear much humor during his day. In fact, while Mark was out driving around, I saw two teenage girls return with massive tears on their faces, having obviously failed their test. Anyway, Mark and the examiner went past those parking spaces, and out onto Rosemead Blvd.

Mark came back at 10:30, grinning. He had passed the test. Good job, son! So now, while the 1963 Falcon sits in Uncle Dave's garage in Danville, Mark drives around South Pasadena in cousin Renee's 1998 Red Mustang. Of course, whoever gets up first in the morning is always tempted to take the Mustang!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home