Thursday, April 27, 2006

Mark Knopfler and Emmy Lou Harris

Just bought tickets for the Mark Knopfler-Emmy Lou Harris concert at the Gibson Amphitheater on June 28th. I have been a fan of Mark Knopfler since the early 1980's with his stint with Dire Straits. It is music I never tire of listening to, although the family tires of it as soon as I take the CD out of its case. I have not hear the new Knopfler-Harris album yet, but have hear that it is excellent. Scott Johnson from Powerline has written many posts about Emmy Lou Harris, especially in connection with Gram Parsons. He will become a fan of Mark Knopfler, now, it appears.

It is hard to say why I like Mark Knopfler and Dire Straits. It could be the fabulous guitar playing. It could be the catchy tunes. It could be the stories told through the lyrics. There is a playfulness in some of the lyrics, like "Money for Nothin'", to the more recent "Song for Sonny Liston" or the biting "Boom, Like That", which is an ode to Ray Kroc, founder of McDonalds. There is even an ode to Elvis, and a little bit of history concerning the Mason-Dixon Line. Eclectic. Unpredictable. Somehow, for me, it all works together for good, and I enjoy the music.

I have painted many a house to the Alchemy album of Dire Straits. And while I like all of Knopfler's stuff, the Neck and Neck album is incredible. Paired with country guitarist Chet Atkins, this album seems like it was produced with a lot of fun, enjoyment, and mutual admiration. Clearly, Knoplfer admires Atkins' work, and the feelings are mutual.

Which is one more thing that impresses me about Mark Knopfler. He enjoys music. Although his genre is "rock", he easily writes in other genres. I was surprised to hear Knoplfer's "The Bug" on a Country station! Originally done in 1991 on the "On Every Street" album.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home