Sunday, October 22, 2006

10 Biggest Computer Flops of All Time

Having lived through several boom and bust cycles in my 18 months working in Silicon Valley in the early 1980's, this list warmed my heart. "Mistakes were made" seems to be the motto over those go-go years.

I remember at Tandem Computers, working on the plant newsletter on a brand new IBM XT with a 10 MB hard drive, and an HP plotter for a printer, which was slower, but more colorful than our regular drum printer. At the time, I thought, "Who would ever use up 10 whole megabytes of space?" Just call me "Mr. Vision."

My favorite in the list was # 7, Windows ME. I owned one notebook computer with ME on it, and it was an unmitigated disaster. The article states that some people thought "Windows ME actually stood for 'Microsoft Experiment', 'Moron Edition', 'Mistake Edition', and 'Memory Eater'."

You mean, that's NOT what ME meant?!?!?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If at first you don't succeed.?.?.?

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home